Breast Cancer Cause
Cancer » Breast Cancer » Breast Cancer Cause
Breast cancer is an abnormal growth of breast cells. This abnormal growth of cells causes tumor which further develops into cancerous cells. Usually, women get triggered by breast cancer, but in rare in case even men can undergo this disease, since they also have breast tissues. This abnormal development of cells causes sickness in the body. Breast cancer causes due to several factors.
Breast cancer starts to develop in the lobules or ducts of the breast. When the cancer is limited till the lobules and ducts in breast, it is termed as non-invasive breast cancer. If the surrounding tissues of breast get infected then it is termed as invasive breast cancer.
Who are at high risk of breast cancer?
Although the exact breast cancer causes are uncertain, one should know the risk factors allied with it. Most of the women considered to develop high risk of breast cancer do not get it, while most with no known breast cancer symptoms do get prone to develop it.
Family history and advancing age are some of the major factors for development of breast cancer. In women with benign breast lump, the possibilities of breast cancer development are slow than a women who has had a breast or ovary cancer in past.
Breast Cancer Causes:
There are certain factors that play a major role in enhancing the possibilities of breast cancer. Some risk factors that cannot be changed to avoid the possibilities of breast cancer cause:
Breast cancer causes due to several reasons, so understand all the possible consequences and try to avoid if they are avoidable, if they are not treat them with proper breast cancer care.
- Age: As the woman gets older, the possibilities of breast cancer also increase. Most of the women with invasive breast cancer are around or more than 55 years.
- Gender: Basically women are more triggered by the breast cancer than men. Even men can undergo breast cancer, but the possibilities are very rare as compare to the women.
- If personal history involves breast cancer: A woman who is already carrying a breast cancer in one breast may develop higher possibility of developing it in another breast or other part of the same breast. This different from recurrence.
- Genetic factors: If any one of your ancestors were undergoing breast cancer, possibilities are they will be transferred into generations. This relatives or ancestors may be from your mother's side or father's side. Mother, daughter or sister with breast cancer can be one of the roots for the development of breast cancer.
- Genetic factor: As per an estimate, about 5% to 10% of breast cancer cases are caused due to the inherited mutations in certain body genes. BRCA1 and BRCA2 are considered to be the most common gene changes. Women with such gene mutations develop 80% possibility of breast cancer throughout the life. Other gene mutations may also increase the risk of breast cancer.
- Race: As compare to the African American women, white women are more prone to breast cancer. But the percentage of death rate is more in American African women. Rapid growth of tumors is the reason for this percentage, but why in their case only is not clear. Hispanic, Native American and Asian women has least risk of getting breast cancer and dying because of it.
- Dense tissue of breast: Dense breast tissue refers to less fatty tissues and more gland tissues. Women with more and intense breast tissue are more prone to breast cancer. Dense breast tissue makes it complicated for even doctors to identify the problems on mammograms.
- Menstrual periods: Women who began with their periods before the age of 12 years and women who get their menopause after the age of 55 are slightly at the risk of breast cancer. They undergo more menstrual periods which causes more changes in the hormones such as progesterone and estrogen.
- Lobular carcinoma in situ: In women with lobular carcinoma in situ, the risk of developing breast cancer increases by 7 to 11 times.
- Diethylstilbestrol (DES) treatment: Previously, DES was used to decrease the risk of miscarriage in women. Recent studies have revealed that these women have greater possibilities of getting breast cancer.
- Radiation: Women who have undergone radiation treatment to the chest area develop more possibilities of getting breast cancer. The risk varies with the patient's age. If the radiations are taken in the teenage when the breast are developing, risk of getting breast cancer becomes higher. If the radiation treatment is taken after the age of 40, the risk is quite less.
- Lifestyle: Persistent intake of alcohol for many years is harmful. Alcoholism increases the risk of breast cancer. Being overweight after menopause can increase the risk of breast cancer.