Esophageal Cancer Causes
Cancer » Esophageal Cancer » Esophageal Cancer Causes
The esophagus is an organ located in a person's throat. The function of the esophagus is to carry the food from the person's mouth to his stomach. The esophagus is a hollow muscular organ. The cancer that occurs in the esophagus is known as the esophagus cancer.
According to its occurrence, the esophageal cancer is divided into two types. They are:
- Cancer of squamous cell
The cancer of the squamous cell rises in the cell lining of the esophagus upper portion. The adenocarcinoma begins from the cells called as the glandular cells, which are located at the stomach and esophagus junction.
The esophageal cancer is one of the rarest types of cancer that infects the human beings. Because of this reason, people lack the actual esophageal cancer causes. It is very important for people to know what factors cause the esophageal cancer so that they can stay away or avoid such cancer causing agents.
Esophageal cancer causes:
The esophageal cancer causes are the cancer causing agents that result into formation of the cancerous cells damaging the esophagus. To prevent the formation of the cancerous cells in the esophagus, people must avoid the esophageal cancer causes for which, they should be well aware of it. Some of the esophageal cancer causes are:
- Smoking- People who smoke cigarettes, damage their lungs to a great extent. The cigarettes which people smoke contain a very harmful and life reducing toxin known as the nicotine. When a person smokes a cigarette, the toxic fumes pass through his throat
from the esophagus. Often smoking cigarettes can result into developing a cancer in the esophagus.
- Alcohol consumption- A heavy consumption of alcohol can result into the formation of esophageal cancer. According to a research, heavy alcohol consumption is as harmful as smoking cigarette and can lead to harmful diseases.
- Heredity- It is often seen that people whose either of the two parents is or had been a patient of esophageal cancer is very likely to develop the same in himself.
- Thermal injury- A thermal injury is a type of injury that is caused due to drinking of hot beverages. A severe thermal injury can account for the cause of esophageal cancer.
- GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease)- The GERD as well as it later result which is known as the Barrette's esophagus increases the risk of an individual getting infected by the esophageal cancer. This happens because of the irritation caused to the lining of mucosal.
- Lye consumption- An agent that is very harmful and is used for the drain cleaning in the household is known as the lye. Many a times, a person may have had consumed lye accidently in his childhood. The lye shows up after a number of years by causing certain infections in the esophagus that can be minor or major.
- Obesity- Obesity is a condition where there is a lot of body fat accumulation in a person's body. It can result into many adverse effects. Also the risk of fourfold of the adenocarcinoma is high due to obesity. It can later result in the esophageal cancer cause.
- Medical history- If an individual has a medical history of the head and neck cancer, then there are high possibilities that the person can end up having formation of new cancerous cells in the area around the head and neck which includes the esophagus as well.
The esophageal cancer causes are many in number. Some of the causes are general day to day life habits while some are complex disorders or some kind of malfunctioning in the human body. In order to prevent the esophageal cancer, a person must be well aware of the esophageal cancer causes. Some of the esophageal cancer causes are such type of factors that cause multiple diseases such as smoking cigarettes, consuming alcohol etc. To lead a healthy and disease free life such harmful habits must be avoided.