Lip Cancer Prevention
Cancer » Lip Cancer » Lip Cancer Prevention
Lip cancer prevention will happen very well when the cause of the cancer is known to an individual. This is a cancer which affects the lips primarily and if not diagnosed or left untreated, it will spread on to the whole oral cavity. This is a cancer which will spread at a very fast pace. One should know the cause and the symptoms of lip cancer so that early detection can happen and the life expectancy of the individual will rise. The lip cancer has many new methods of detection. The main causes of lip cancer are:
- Sun and
- Human Papilloma Virus (HPV)
Lip cancer prevention can be done in the following ways
- Be sun safe to prevent lip cancer:
- It is a known fact that sun causes a lot of damage to the skin and it does cause a lot of damage to the lips
- This cancer causes a lot of problems in the skin of the lips
- One should avoid a lot of sunlight. The ultraviolet rays of the sun are very harmful in mid-day, and one should avoid contact with it
- Individuals must apply sunscreens before moving out. The cremes which have the element of zinc oxide must be preferred so that the ultraviolet rays cause minimum harm. Sunscreen with high SPF can also be used to protect the skin. Preferably, SPF20 is the minimum one and should be applied before heading out in the afternoon
- Special protection measures must be taken by men. This cancer affects men more often than the ladies, because of other habits such as chewing tobacco and consumption of alcohol. The sun becomes an added issue to tackle. This cancer occurs 7 times more in men rather than that in a woman.
- Lower the risk of lip cancer:
- Stop the use of tobacco and its products: Tobacco in any form is dangerous. One should avoid or stop the consumption of this substance. Cigarettes, pipes, cigars and chew or snuff are all the forms by which this harmful element can be consumed
- Moderate consumption of alcohol: If any individual consumes alcohol, it should be done in a limit. This is a very big risk to lip cancer or oral cancer
- Eat healthy: One should consume a lot of fruits and vegetables on a daily basis. A high protein and fiber diet is always good for the body on a whole. The National Cancer Institute suggests that a minimum of 5 serving of fruits and vegetables must be consumed by an individual on a daily basis.
- Regular application of a lip balm: One should use a lip balm to keep the lips moist. This balm should preferably have a SPF quotient or a sunscreen in it to protect the lips.
- Proper oral hygiene: This is an important step to avoid any sort of infections which may give rise to cancerous cells. A proper hygiene must be followed by the people so that they are at minimal risk.
- There are many ways to detect this cancer:
- In today's times, it is easy to detect this cancer
- There are many tests and ways of diagnosing this disease
- These clinical tests are available at licensed dentists and surgeons
- The tests are as follows:
- Vizlite Plus
- Brush Biopsy
- Trimira OCS 3000
- MicroLux DL
- The doctor after checking the cancer, its spread and stage with the help of the tests will decide what treatment needs to be given.
Lip cancer prevention can be done very well if there is self control and self measures are taken up by an individual. This is a cancer which shows no early signs but has a very huge impact at a later stage. In the later stages, this cancer can cause a lot of problems in the oral cavity as well as the neck and the head. One should not ignore any early signs of lip cancer and should visit a dentist on a regular basis. The age at which this cancer does the damage to an individual, especially men, is 50 years.