Lung Cancer Care
Cancer » Lung Cancer » Lung Cancer Care
Cancer is basically caused due to uncontrolled growth of cells. These cells eventually form a tumor and hamper the normal cell growth in the body. Cancerous tumor is called as malignant tumor. Prognosis of cancer for lung helps to know approximate tendency of tumors to spread to different regions and the damage they may cause to victim. If this tumor is not treated early, it spreads to other body parts and destroys surrounding healthy tissues. In case of lung cancer, the malignant tumor formed obstructs the air flow in that part of lung resulting in hoarseness or shortness of breath.
Lungs are an important part of the respiratory system. Lungs also filter out small blood clots in the veins that carry de-oxygenated blood and maintain the pH level of blood. Lungs also supply air flow to the larynx which is also called as the 'voice-box' for creation of vocal sounds. The bronchus which is the main air passage becomes narrow to form bronchioles which has got sac like structure at the end called as alveoli. It is here in the alveoli that exchange between carbon dioxide gas and oxygen takes place. Right lung is divided into three lobes and the left lung is divided into two lobes. The pure air is carried to the heart which circulates it the other body parts.
Symptoms of lung cancer:
Coughing that gets severe day by day
Blood coming out of the cough. This condition is called as Hemoptysis
Pain in the chest
Shortness of breath
Bronchitis or pneumonia
Loss of weight
Loss of appetite
Above are a few enlisted symptoms and early signs of lung cancer. If any of these symptoms are consistent for more than a week or two, then one must not delay his appointment with the doctor. The doctor will diagnose the presence of lung cancer by performing various tests.
Lung cancer care:
- Anyone who has been treated with lung cancer must continue his treatment with a routine check up to check whether the cancer has returned back. Post treatment care is also important. If you are suffering from side-effects of the treatment ask your doctor whether he has got medications to reduce the intensity of the side-effects. Always consult your doctor before taking any pain killers. Do not take them without consulting your doctor.
- Most of the cancer deaths in the United States are caused by lung cancer. Smoking is the key factor in causing lung cancer. If one is finding it difficult to get rid of his smoking habit and has got the will power then one can get enrolled into smoking addiction rehabilitation centers. Remember, the earlier you quit smoking, the better are your chances of survival. Five year survival rate is achievable in lung cancer patients if they quit smoking.
- Palliative care for lung cancer patients is available that does not only look after the physical well being but also enrich psychological and emotional well being. Most of the palliative care centers offer post treatment care for free. You can also look for online lung cancer care communities to get more information and interact with the cancer survivors. These communities are very beneficial as one can get answers to their questions at any time of the hour.
- Diet must not be neglected. All the lost nutrients and vitamins during the lung cancer aid and cure must be replenished. Diet rich of fresh fruits and vegetables must be included. Try to avoid red meat. If chewing is difficult for you in the initial period of post cancer treatment, you can consume diet rich in vegetable and fruit juice.
- Family members can offer emotional support and help in coping with the cancer. Their support is a must for the patient to feel loved. It will help them fighting with the cancer more courageously.